28.12.05

Well, what else do you need?

Well, what else do you need? A phonebooth & an abandoned wagon wheel. What else is necessary? On a previous trip to the United Kingdom, I had focussed on the staple "Red Telephone Booth" as a photographic subject. I experienced much ridicule for that. This time, around I found a differnt subject, pubs, on which to exert my photographic energy. Sometimes, the two just go hand-in-hand. I suppose it's just as well, for the "Red Phone Booth" is slowly being replaced by modern non-enclosed booths that are more functional & considerably less decorative. I find it the end of an era and am saddened by it. By the time I return, i expect that there will be far fewer "Red Telephone Booths" to photograph. Sad, really. This is the side of the Old Smiddy Restaurant in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland. A day full of distilleries & a winery deserved nothing less than a pub for dinner; and a pub we had. A delightfully charming location on High Street (the only street, really) in Errol. It was impossible to miss. The Old Smiddy even had a selection of Cairn O'Mohr wines by the bottle or by the glass. I, if memory serves, switched back to beer at this point, and likely had a pint of the 80 shilling. I recall my dinner being delightful, however. So, should you find yourself in Errol, Perthshire, make sure you drop into the Old Smiddy and let them know you found them on the Wastrel. Wastrel On! (Listening to: Mercedes Boy by Pebbles)

No comments: