25.6.06

National Anthems and National Athletes

indulge me if you will. I am, by my own admission, not the most patriotic of individuals detesting as I do most of this administrations policies. However, were I lucky enough and good enough to be selected to play for my country in any sporting event you can bet your arse that I'd be belting out the national anthem as it was being played before the event. These athletes who stand in their team line and look sour-faced, as if they don't even want to be there put a bad face on the nation. Were it up to me, I'd make it mandatory that your entire staff, including the prima donnas on the pitch, sing during the national anthem. The exceptions being a) your anthem has no words or b) it's a cultural thing to not sing the anthem. The South Koreans in the first round, for instance, did not sing their anthem. Not a single player uttered a single word; however, their patriotism was so apparent in their body language that it wasn't necessary that they sing. Each player has his hand on heart, his head bowed and most had their eyes closed. They cared. Contrast that to God Save the Queen as just played for the English team. Sure David Beckham was singing, he's the media darling and wouldn't be caught not singing. However, dour faced, petulant Rooney couldn't be bothered to show even the slightest amount of pride. And that pasty Swede, I don't care if he's not English, he's coaching the English national team, sing the damn anthem!! I could say the same for the Ecuadorians (who are currently playing England) and for most every other nation out there, including the United States. Boys, you're playing for your country, show some pride, some solidarity and lift your voices with your nation. Wastrel On.

No comments: