19.11.07

Up Pompey!

12 November 2007
I spent the day travelling from mid-US to west-US, and despite gaining two hours in the transit, it still wiped me out. I had a quick bite to eat at a lovely little Italian restaurant called Cecilia's, then settled in for a quick night-time read. Even though my bookclub is currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera I just couldn't bring myself to take the book on the trip. It's actually a surpassingly well-written book. However, at nearly 100 pages in, I'd still to discern a plot, so I've set it aside. I'll finish it someday, I suppose. But having grown up in a time when fiction meant a plot that moves the reader along, I was struggling to enjoy it. So, I brought with me a non-fiction book: Up Pompey!
Up Pompey!
Up Pompey is a fantastic book where "a clueless American sportswriter bumbles through English football," although I believe that Chuck Culpepper is not quite so clueless as he might lead some to believe. I can't quite figure out, and I'm not through reading it yet, whether he's writing to an English audience and trying to prove the validity of "their sport" vs the inanity of "our" sport; or is he writing to an American audience and struggling to point out the superiority of football to American-football. Either way, and I believe however you feel about Associated Football vs American Football, the book is very well written and immensely enjoyable. I shall loan it to Terrill when he's done and look forward to the "Delusional Rant" that will be forthcoming. :-)
Cheers.

~KR (12 November 2007)

Listening to: Kirstie's by Millish
on Millish

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD850
IS Exposure: 0.8 sec (4/5)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 1 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: