26.9.05

Tug of War

Tug of War Now this surprised me. I had no idea, truly no idea, that Tuf of War was a real, highly-thought-of competition in Scotland. So important is this competition that there are Tug of War associations in various countries throughout Europe and Tug of War competitions at every major and minor Highland Games held in the United Kingdom. It was to my great surprise that watching grown men struggle against each other on a slippery ground would so captivate people for long stretches of time. I guess grunting, groaning, sweaty men hanging onto a large rope for what appears to be dear life, or at least recognition is a real attention grabbler. As surmised, I'm sure, I'm still reporting on the Higland Games. For a relatively small festival, there was a great deal going on and we spent quite a bit of time there. Wastrel On! (Listening to: I'm Ready by Tracy Chapman)

No comments: