11.11.07

A Queue of Gas Guzzlers

10 November 2007
I took other photos on the 10th, but I'm using this one because it beggars me. I don't understand. We are in the midst of one of the worst fuel crises in modern history (not the worst, mind you, when adjusted for inflation) and yet our nation's gluttonous population insists on driving vehicles that are notoriously poor on gas mileage. I drive a small Mitsubishi because I have no reason to drive anything larger. In this photo we see three vehicles, all of which are larger than a)mine and b)their occupancy requirements:
Queued Vehicles
All three of these vehicles had one occupant (visible - if someone was ducking out of view, certainly I wouldn't have noticed); the driver. I respect others need for larger vehicles. Large families, the working class (labourers, farmers &c.) and haulers need the larger vehicle. My wife drives a hugely ineffecient gas guzzler because she needs to. She needs the space to haul product back and forth across the state (and nation at times). She needs the heavy-duty tow package because she pulls around a trailer that that is longer and taller than her Yukon. There wasn't a tow package on any of the vehicles in front of me. All of them were squeaky clean on the exterior which leads me to beleive that they don't travel off-road very often, if at all, which means they probably weren't working-class vehicles. Going back to a previous statement, all of them had one occupant so I can make the leap that they weren't for large families (although that is a leap, I have no evidence one way or another). So, I have to ask again, why? Why do we continue to line the pockets of big oil and foreign nations by driving unncecessarily large and inefficient vehicles when other choices are available?
Cheers.

~KR (10 November 2007)

Watching:
Manchester United v Blackburn (down to 10 men)
Score: 2 - 0 at 78:23
(Come on you Rovers!)

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/5.5
Focal Length: 23.2 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode

No comments: