23.8.05

The Milwaukee Irish Festival

Took a short break from my travelogue to visit the Bristol Renaissance Festival and the Milwaukee Irish Fest. The Milwaukee Irish Festival celebrated its 25th year this past weekend. It has truly placed itself in the annals of great festivals and great venues. It's held at the Henry W. Maier Festival [Summerfest] Grounds at 200 North Harbor Drive Milwaukee, WI 53202 on the banks of Lake Michigan. The Milwaukee Irish Festival boasts one of the best lineups of Irish (or otherwise Celtic-influenced) music anywhere. Perhaps the InterCeltique Musique Festival in France may have a larger lineup, but I've not been to it, so I stand by my personal critique. Over the years I have seen some truly outstanding groups: some internationally acclaimed, some purely local with little hope of bursting onto the international scene, but brilliant musicians in their own right. This year, I was treated to the Brigid's Cross, The Young Dubliner's, The Wolftones, Schooner Fare, Green Fields of America, Wolfstone & Off Kilter. And these are just the groups I physically saw. I heard many more from a distance as I passed by. My main complaint about the festival is that the Miller Brewing Company has a stranglehold on the grounds and Guinness (Bass, Harp &c.) are not present. You can purchase all of the Guinness paraphenalia you want from many of the hundreds of vendors selling wares. However, you can NOT buy a Guinness stout on the grounds. Thank goodness that Leinenkugel and Sprecher and Lakefront beers all have a presence. All in all it's worth your visit. Wastrel On!

No comments: