26.10.07

London Begins

13th & 14th October, 2007
Took the pups to the “hotel” early morning, and predictably, Cormac couldn’t care less that I was standing there forlorn. He just wanted to get to his “hotel suite.” Berecyntia was a little less anxious this time, perhaps because the previous visit had been so recent. After leaving my precious cargo, I high-tailed it to DFW to wait in queue after queue after queue. Finally, I was through the ridiculous TSA lines and into the “sterile” area of the airport. I headed toward my gate, but being early, made a quick stop at the lovely Irish bar that was conveniently close by. It wasn’t too long ere Terrill joined me in a Guinness and some rugby watching. When time, we left for the gate where I sweet-talked an agent into changing my seat from a middle seat near the back of the plane to an aisle seat in an exit row; not first class, but then we were on a Super 80 where even first class isn’t really first class. A relatively quick three hours later we were in New York, Terrill & I, where we had but a short wait for Flight 100 to London. We did manage to secure a first class seat for the six and a half hour flight from JFK to LHR which is always lovely. A decent meal, good wine and a movie later, I tried to sleep, as I knew that arriving in London at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning was going to be very tiring. I tried, but was unsuccessful in sleeping more than a few minutes at a time for the entire trip. Consequently, when we arrived at LHR and got through the customs queues, we were completely knackered. But, trundle on we must, so we took the short shuttle ride to the Avis rent-a-car place and picked up our lovely little Peugeot and drove to the Holiday Inn in hopes that there would be rooms ready for us. Luckily, by 10 am there were. We both napped until about 3(ish) then went to a local pub called the King William IV for lunch and drinks. This is the King William IV:
King William IV.
Lovely. Not being satisfied, however, we located another place. And, because it’d be rude not to, we stopped in The Wheatsheaf. There we encountered a great group of locals and I managed to have my first Football disagreement on this trip. We still needed a good full dinner, though, so off to the Pheasant we went for food. In bed by 10, because our first day in the office was going to come early. Saturday & Sunday were one very long day, with one very short nap in the middle, therefore, it’s just one post.
Cheers.

~KR (13 & 14 October 2007)

Listening to:
Forever Lost by The Magic Numbers
on Magic Numbers

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 80
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode

No comments: