25.10.07

The Price of Progress

10 October 2007 When I was very young, I decided I wanted to be a professional footballer. That didn't work out so well, so I decided later in life on architecture as a fallback. There I found I had a massive conflict of interest that prevented me from excelling at something that I was actually pretty darned good at. I am not, will never be, Frank Lloyd Wright or Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I don't have the foresight, the chutzpah or the talent to blend the man-made with the natural. Nor, apparently, does the majority of the rest of the world. It seems that in order for a new shopping centre to go up, the trees must come down. This is what remains of a small copse of trees just outside my office complex. They've been uprooted and the entire area bulldozed for what will be a shopping & eating complex.
The Price of Progress
The price of progress; and I'm ok with it, I suppose. It will be nice to have more options in terms of lunch eateries. It'll be nice for the DFW area to have a better/larger selection of hotels from which to choose. It'll be nice to have more than one petrol station on my way home. I'm just sorry that the trees had to go. The world needs another Frank Lloyd Wright.
Cheers.

~KR (10 October 2007)

Listening to:
You Could Have Been With Me by Sheena Easton
on Billboard Top 100 Of 1982

Camera: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 58 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: