23.8.07

What a Day

19 August 2007 What a day. For the first time since Bristol Faire became Bristol Faire, it did not open on a day it was supposed to open. The rain was soft and gentle and sporadic most of Saturday until about 8pm. The skies opened. It rained hard and harder and then hard again until about 8am. That 12 hours and nearly 7" of rain prompted a difficult decision -- to not open. It was primarily for the safety of the patrons that this decision was made, and I for one, applaud the choice. But, you know what this meant? Exploration day! We had been meaning to go to Kenosha on Monday, but presented with this opportunity how could we not take advantage. So, into town we went in search of what had been described to me as, "the best hamburger you'll ever have." The description wasn't far off. Spanky's truly has one of the best burgers I've ever had the pleasure of eating. The joint itself wasn't too bad, either. I could spend time there. From there, we went out to the shore of Lake Michigan and took many photos of rocks and water spray and waves and lighthouses and each other. Much fun. Then, we joined Kat & Sean and Amber for a few more beers and made hystericals over my lack of hearing ("Don't Make Me Fuck a Latte, No!"). The day was starting to get a little long in the tooth and we were still in Kenosha, we'd made plans for dinner with Joseph and Kelly (even having so recently seen them for lunch at Spankys - we really do love those two). So, we trundled through the rain and floody places toward Racine on the WI32. Suddenly a loud "ohhh, I want a picture of that!" spun my head, but not in time. I turned around and drove into the parking area of Carthage University to get a photo of this Red Bridge that Marita Beth had espied from the 32. I had to escape the car in order to get a photo, but being in sandles I didn't wish to walk too far in the wet, muddy grass. Nonetheless, I think the photo is quite nice in and of itself, even without the surrounding narrative.
Red Bridge
And still, the day wasn't over. We picked up J & K and headed to the Carlton Grange in Milwaukee for a delightful meal. That's a place I could easily spend too much time and money in. Quite late in the evening, Marita Beth and I returned home to her abode sated, happy and in love.
Cheers.

~KR (19 August 2007)

Listening to:
Lullaby by On the Rocks
on OTR

Camera: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: