3.10.07

rld Book edia

2 October 2007
On the way into work this morning, I took that alternate route I sometimes take when I'm looking for a photo op. And, again, i wasn't disappointed. Although the photo tells a story that saddens me, it's a story and worth the telling. I'm a bibliophile. The subject of this photo is one that no bibliophile should ever be forced to see. This is a World Book Encyclopedia:
rld Book edia.
There were dozens of them in a dirty, partially burned refuse pile at the dead end of a street. What prompts someone to seek to "destroy knowledge" by the burning or other destruction of books? Do they not know that that knowledge will persist no matter what ardent steps they take? I weep for the person(s) that performed this despicable act and hope fervently that the victims in this vilification remain only the inanimate, but no less lifeless, books.
Cheers.

~KR (2 October 2007)

Listening to:
Moments in Love by Art of Noise
on Moments in Love, Vol. 1

Camera: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 58 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode

No comments: