27.1.08

I'm a Geek

24 January 2008
In all my writings and ramblings and photos, I'm not sure one thing has ever been totally clear. I'm a geek. It's true. I'm a geek. I'm a nerd, in that I'm a programmer. But at heart, I'm a geek, at least in the modern sense of the word. Science Fiction movies and books are my favourite pasttimes; and no pasttime has been quite so prevalent in my life as comic books. In 1972 (or so) I bought my first comic book (a Daredevil) on an Air Force base in Munich, Germany. I've never quite looked back from that momentous decision. My tastes in comics have changed over the years (I'm more D.C. and Indie than Marvel, now) but I still revere the Daredevil comic. In fact, I have a complete run up through 2002 when, due to economic restrictions caused by 9/11 I was forced to make sudden, certain cutbacks in my spending behaviour. I even worked in the industry for a number of years in the mid-late 90's. This is a photo of the cover of issue #206, my favourite Daredevil issue ever:
Daredevil #206.
The serendipity comes from the fact that my wife (not my wife at the time) bought the original coverpage art (seen here) for that issue for me as a birthday present. I now have framed and hanging on my wall, the cover of #206 next to the original cover art and a published, coloured version of the page. It's a lovely treatment and one I'm proud to own.
Cheers.

~KR (Written on: 27 January 2008)

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: