24.1.08

Pint Glass and Ashtray

19 January 2008
Ohh, hey, what do you know...another photo with a beer glass in it. This morning I woke up sick. My head felt three miles wide, my soft pallatte was swollen to the point of gagging me, my sinuses were draining causing my throat no end of pain. Yeah, what an awful way to wake up. Made worse by the fact that I had promised Marita Beth earlier in the week that I would attend her dance performance this afternoon/evening. *sigh* I made good on the promise despite the fact that I felt like absolute shite and wanted nothing more than to lay down for good long nap. But, a promise is a promise so off we drove to Denton. The performance was at 1900, but we had to be there at 1500 for her last rehearsal and tech review. So, I went down to Fry Street and visited a few bars I'd never been to..always a fun pastime for me. The first bar I went to, Riprocks was a typical college dive. I can't write much good about it. The wait and bar staff sucked, The selection of beers was tolerable but by no means exceptional. The bar (all of Denton, really) is still a smoker's haven, so the place reeked. The upholstery on every chair and bench was torn or, in some cases, completely absent. Really, there is nothing I can recommend about the joint. But, it's where this photo was taken.
Ashtray & Pint Glass
I was sitting there whiling away the time and playing with the camera when I stumbled on a setting called Color Accent. The above photo was taken with the Color Accent set to the turquoise of the bench upholstery. Interesting result, I think. I'll continue to experiment with the setting. The second (and final) bar I went to was called The Fry Street Tavern. It was much more inviting, but there were nearly no customers. So, maybe that was the difference. The furniture was in better repair (perhaps due to lack of use) and the bar tender was a very friendly young man. So, if you are in Denton and you have your choice between those two bars, choose The Fry Street Tavern. I thought very seriously about putting up a photo of the dance routine showing off the performing wife. But, the darkened theatre and new camera conspired against me. None of them came out well enough to post.
Cheers.

~KR (Written on 20 January 2008)

Watching:
Mindless TV

Camera: Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
Exposure: 0.4 sec (2/5)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 250
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: